Obtaining a Sports Visa for Australia

The Springboks played the Wallabies this past weekend. Australia and South Africa both take their rugby very seriously. The rivalry goes back many years. The Springboks, on the other hand, had never won in Brisbane, so it was an exciting match to watch. The Sringboks won and are now on an 9 game winning streak. They next face New Zealand. It should be fun for both sides to watch. Maybe you are an amateur or professional sports person. Do you dream of one day being sponsored to play sports in a country like Australia? This brings up the topic of how professional sports players or amateur sportsmen and women can go to Australia and obtain a sports visa. The subclass 401 Visa allows for one to participate in sports there.

Schengen Visa Travel Insurance

This visa allows professional and amateur sports people to travel and participate in sports in Australia.

The categories of sports people who are covered by this visa are:

• Individuals or teams (and their support staff) taking part in specific sports events or contests

• Players, coaches and instructors joining an Australian sports club, team or similar organisation

• Participants undertaking a structured sports training program in Australia

• Show/competition judges and adjudicators.

Now, you do need to be sponsored in order to obtain this visa. For this visa you will need to be sponsored by an Australian organisation that administers or promotes sports events, a government agency, or a foreign government agency. One can obtain this visa for the duration of their sponsorship or up to two years.

New World Immigration specializes in Australia visas including the 401 Sports visa. There are some other options for Sports Trainees just entering the country for short term training and there is a longer 4 year option for someone like a professional rugby player or coach who has a contract with a club for up to 4 years. Please contact us for the best option for you or your coaching staff or team players.

You may wish to bring your family with you to Australia. Your family can accompany you as dependents. This would include a spouse and children. You may be asking” OK, what about my boyfriend or girlfriend?” This is possible too. Partners can also accompany you on the Sports visa. A “De Facto” partner could accompany you if you can substantiate that you have lived together for a period of at least 12 months prior to applying for the visa. There are various ways to prove cohabitation. Contact us if you have questions about meeting these criteria.

The sports visa is a great way to do the sport you love and see a new country. You will need to meet specific requirements for these types of visas. Things like health insurance, funds to support your stay, having a return flight, proving sponsorship, proving you have the skills, meeting the health requirements, being of good character, and proving you have an approved nomination will all be considered.

Australians love their sport, both playing it and watching it. A recent national survey showed that more than 11 million Australians aged 15 or over participated at least once a week in physical activity for exercise, recreation and sport-a participation rate of almost 70 per cent. If you wish to join them and obtain a Sports Visa, give us a shout. We can help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *